But there are things I love more than watching meaningless television, and I thought I'd share them with you.
Besides, since my secret battle with depression is no longer secret and it's often difficult for me to acknowledge the good things in life, I figured I might as well practice some positive thinking.
Here are 10 Things I Love More than Kim Kardashian:
- Hearing my son speak a new word even if it's not clear. My son was diagnosed with a speech delay last year so every small word is a victory. Every time I can answer him honestly without just nodding and smiling because I have no clue what he's saying is a celebration.
- When my other half does the laundry…or the dishes…or the bathroom…or the floor…or the… well, you get the idea. Less work for me = Happier Me.
- Chocolate. Coffee. Cake. Tea. My mom's food. I think this one is self-explanatory.
- When my son goes potty in the toilet and not in his diaper. No huge mess to clean up! No having to go to the incinerator! Just flush, wipe and be done!
- My family. My parents, my son, my sister, my niece, my aunts, my uncles, my cousins, my grandma and grandpa, my boyfriend and my best friend. Even my parents' dog, Roxie. I love them all. Unconditionally.
- My being a Latina. I appreciate my Puerto Rican heritage--the food, the music, the language, the people. I wouldn't be who I am today if I weren't Latina.
- Nature. Sunshine, flowers, trees, grass, water, sky. All of these things make me happy, unless it's snowing or stormy or withered.
- Photography. One of my favorite things to do is take photos because it allows me to see my world in a unique way. When I'm looking through the lens of a camera, that coffee cup tossed under a gate looks that much more appealing than when I'm not. Besides, I can also capture the natural beauty of the world and great memories of places I've been, things I've done and cool things I've seen.
- Crafts: the Chronicle of Love scrapbook for my son; the Valentine's Day scrapbook; the cards from me and from my son for my boyfriend; the Footprint Frame; the Personalized Initial Shadowbox--all of these meaningful crafts represent work that I can be proud of and are pieces that I will cherish forever.
- Writing. My own writing, other awesome moms' writing and my friends Naima's and Tom's writing. For me, writing poetry, memoir pieces and blog posts is therapeutic and gives me the strength I need to carry on through this tumultuous thing called life. As I say in My Blogger's Creed, "I believe in the value of stories. I blog on Equis Place because I am passionate about writing and sharing my story with friends, family and strangers in a fun and creative way;" and I love hearing others' stories because by learning from you, I feel empowered.
What are some of the things you love?